Sunday, 27 June 2010

Mac and cheese!!!!!

I LOVE mac and cheese, it was probably my fave thing to eat as a kid! I didn't eat it for years though, until I got some in hospital a few weeks ago. That reminded me of how much I loved it, so last night I made some for me and my mother :) Couldn't find any big macaroni though, only the really tiny thin stuff, so I used a durum wheat pasta which I can't remember the name of.. It sort of looks like flat spirals, almost like a snail shell.
I chose to make it just with bechamel sauce and grate cheese on top, because I think it tastes cheesier than if you make a cheese sauce. In my opinion, melted cheese loses half the flavor.

Pasta:
boil for about 10 mins.  Meanwhile, make the...

Bechamel:
butter
flour
milk
salt

Melt the butter in a pan over high heat and very gradually add flour until it becomes thick and you can make a ball out of it. Then very gradually add milk, little by little, stirring constantly, until it becomes a nice thick sauce. Add salt to taste.

If you add anything too quickly it will just become lumpy and you'll have to start over. Also, if it becomes a little too thin/runny, add a little cornflour paste and stir over high heat for a few minutes. (If you just throw in cornflour without making into a paste first you'll just end up with lumps again.)

Then pour as much bechamel as you like over your cooked and drained pasta, and grate over plenty of your favorite cheese - I used mature cheddar, and lots of rainbow pepper cos i love it :) yum yum!


EDIT -- The pasta was called dischi volanti, my new favorite

No comments:

Post a Comment